Do You Need to Get Your License Reinstated in Wisconsin?

 If you have been convicted of an OWI (Operating While Intoxicated) offense in Wisconsin, you have had your license revoked. In this case, you need to get it reinstated. In Wisconsin, permanent revocation can occur if you are convicted of four or more OWI offenses. Even having a ticket for OWI which is later amended or dismissed can lead to suspension or revocation in some cases. Driving with a revoked license can result in criminal charges.

So, it’s important to get your license reinstated properly. Here are the things you need to do:

Check Your Eligibility

First, you need to find out if you are eligible for reinstatement, which you can do online. The site will tell you what you need to do to get your license restored. There is a fee associated with the application for reinstatement, which is $60 for standard reinstatements but goes up to $200 if your license was suspended or revoked because of an OWI.

Get a SR22 Insurance Certificate

You will need to get an SR22 certificate issued by an insurance company that proves that you have liability insurance of $25,000 for personal injury, $50,000 for death and $10,000 for property damage, unless your revocation was a first OWI offense. However, if you want to apply for an occupational license, you will still need to get insurance.

Occupational Licenses

You may be advised to get an occupational license. This is a restricted license which allows you to make certain essential trips, namely to work, school, for essential shopping, to your place of worship, and for medical appointments. You will also have restrictions as to when, how much, and where you can drive. These licenses are often available while you wait to be eligible to reinstate your regular license. You should check your occupational license eligibility if you have been revoked and are not yet eligible for reinstatement.

Ignition Interlock

If you have more than one OWI conviction or a first offense with a blood alcohol of 0.15 or higher, you will be required to get an ignition interlock installed in any vehicle titled in your name at your expense. You cannot legally drive any vehicle unless it has an IID installed. During the time you are required to have an IID in your vehicle (or if you have 3 or more prior convictions) you cannot drive if you have over 0.02 blood alcohol (which basically means you shouldn’t drink at all). If you are driving and over 0.02 blood alcohol and you are still required to have an IID in your vehicle (or you have 3 or more prior convictions) you can get charged with operating with a prohibited alcohol concentration, which carries the same penalties as an OWI!

If you are not sure how to get your license reinstated or whether you will have to get an occupational license, Stroud, Willink & Howard can help. Call us at 608-661-1054 to get assistance with license reinstatement in Wisconsin.